Are you a game developer or animator looking for challenge this January? Quick! It’s still not too late to join Newgrounds’ Flash Forward Jam and win up to $700.
Even with Adobe having recently ended support for Flash Player, Newgrounds and many other websites want to preserve the tradition of Flash development and media, hence the name Flash Forward, a look into Flash’s future. This jam challenges game devs to develop a Flash game (or interactive movie), in 2021, long after Flash’s heyday.
The good news is that there are still tools for developing Flash media, such as HaxeFlixel which supports .swf exports, and Flash Player emulators such as Ruffle.
Here’s the rules:
- Make something interactive with Flash, either a game or interactive movie, which could include an animation collab with a cool menu interface, or something with decisions / alternate endings.
- Make it with ActionScript 2 and confirm it works via Ruffle before publishing. You will see a “Test with Ruffle” link on your preview page. Ruffle is what we use to run Flash on NG without the Flash plugin, you can read more about it below!
- Upload any time in January and tag it “Flash-Forward-Jam” to participate!
The jam will have three award categories:
- Game (Top 7 Ranked), with a grand prize of $700 and an interview with Newground’s own TheInterviewer.
- Movie with Interactive Element (Top 3 Ranked), with a grand prize of $200 and an interview with TheInterviewer.
- Best Mobile-Friendly Entry (Game or Movie), a $100 prize for the entry which works best on a smartphone, it wouldn’t be Flash Forward without overcoming some demons after all!
For more details see: https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1460728
Good luck and Flash on!